“It’s Catching Up” – Colby Covington Faces Serious Allegations as Jorge Masvidal Exposes Sad Truth Behind His Downfall

5 min read

The sport of MMA is built on rivalries that transcend competition inside the Octagon. Talk about Jon Jones & Daniel Cormier, Georges St-Pierre & Nick Diaz, Conor McGregor & Dustin Poirier. But none of these rivalries have been more personal than the bad blood between former best friend and training partner duo of Colby Covington and Jorge Masvidal.

At UFC 272, the Clovis native handed ‘Gamebred’ a one-sided beatdown but the anger hasn’t died down yet. The former BMF champ recently sat down with Ariel Helwani and didn’t hold back, unleashing a flurry of harsh words aimed at his former opponent. Despite both fighters currently being on a losing streak in the UFC, that didn’t stop Masvidal from taking shots at ‘Chaos’ and even hinting at danger ahead. It looks like this feud won’t be cooling off anytime soon—especially with Masvidal making it known that he’s still got unfinished business with Covington.

While speaking to Helwani, Masvidal doubled down on how he would like to fight Leon Edwards. “Like if I get another fight with a real fighter. I would do it, you know. You know, by real I mean, you know it’s an actual fighter by training, not just f—-g influencer f–k. Leon’s a-s.”

When asked if he watched Covington’s fight with Joaquin Buckey, he lashed out and said, “Bitch a-s Colby, always, that’s another one too. Buckley busted his ass up… I wasn’t surprised. He does a lot of dr–s and s–t from what I hear man. It’s catching up. His God-given ability and he snorted it away.”

Jorge Masvidal is down for a rematch with Colby Covington:

“Bitch ass Colby, always, that’s another one too. Buckley busted his ass up…. I wasn’t surprised. He does a lot of drugs and shit from what I hear, man. It’s catching up. His God-given ability and he snorted it away.” pic.twitter.com/jI65Z9muXH

— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) March 31, 2025

Masvidal is currently not under the UFC anymore and retired in April 2023, after a loss to Gilbert Burns in his hometown of Miami. The 39-year-old then went for a pro boxing match against Nate Diaz, dropping a majority decision. But he wants to come back to UFC since he clearly has not forgotten the bad blood between him and Covington, so for the unversed, here is their fallout story.

This is a friend-to-enemy story. Yes, they were good friends and American Top Team teammates, so what happened? Training there and spending time together in ATT sprouted the growth of a close bond between the two welterweight stars. And drumrolls please— they were roommates! (Completely meme intended.). Unfortunately, money came in between the bromance, and they cannot stand each other ever since the beef.

‘Gamebred’ had claimed that his best friend had not paid his striking coach, Paulino Hernandez, for training with him. “I was already like, let me start separating myself from this guy little by little, and then, ‘Bam!’ Before I could even like fully (separate), he betrayed my coach. Didn’t pay him the money that was agreed upon, and I knew since then I’m gonna hurt this guy,” Jorge Masvidal expressed in 2022. After that, ‘Chaos’ refused these claims, and then their feud turned into an actual fight inside the Octagon, where Covington won. But Masvidal was not done yet and attacked him outside of a steakhouse in Miami. This led to Covington having a chipped tooth and a reported concussion. The conclusion to this?–Covington sued his old friend. Since then, Masvidal has called out Covington for a fight again and also added Leon Edwards, his other rival, to the mix.

Masvidal called out Covington and did not leave Leon Edwards behind

The fighter, familiar with backyard fights without gloves, mentioned his desire to fight ‘Chaos’ in BKFC. Masvidal said in an interview with Sportsbook Review, “The two b—-es I’d want in bare knuckle both start with C for C–t. Colby and Conor. The c–t squad. The b–ch a–es. I would love them in bare knuckle, and I’ll plow their f—-g faces in.” 

In fact, he called out Leon Edwards for a fight as well—a real cage fight this time. Masvidal notoriously punched Edwards backstage at an event in London in 2019eith the famous ‘Three-piece and a soda’. This time, he wants to fight ‘Rocky’ inside the cage.

Their supposed fight at UFC 269 had been cancelled because Masvidal was injured. So now he wants the unfinished business to conclude. He called Edwards ‘fragile’ during a talk with Submission Radio. He said,“The opponents we’ve faced, what he’s been able to do to them, what I’ve been able to do to them for the most part, besides Usman, I’ve been able to put a lot of guys away that he fought and went to decision with. The way he takes shots and the way I take shots, he’s just fragile compared to me, and if we get in that cage, I’m willing to prove how fragile he is compared to me.” So will Masvidal get his wishes granted? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

The post “It’s Catching Up” – Colby Covington Faces Serious Allegations as Jorge Masvidal Exposes Sad Truth Behind His Downfall appeared first on EssentiallySports.