“I’d Never Play Tennis Again,” After Beating American ATP Icon, Nick Kyrgios Opens Up About His Dark Days Chasing a Win

5 min read

Nick Kyrgios has faced an uphill battle since taking time off to heal from his wrist, ankle, and knee injuries. After his last match in Stuttgart in 2023, he stepped away from competition, though he remained in the spotlight as a pundit for major events like the 2024 Australian Open with ESPN and Wimbledon with the BBC. His sharp wit entertained audiences, but he missed the rush of being on the court. Since September last year, Kyrgios has been teasing a comeback, but returning to competition proved tough. He faced first-round exits in all his tournaments, a tough pill to swallow, but he refused to give up. Now coming into Miami, has Krygios been give a glimmer of hope?

On Wednesday, he fought back from a set down to beat Mackenzie McDonald 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Kyrgios has struggled with injuries over the past two years and recently retired from the first round at Indian Wells due to issues with his surgically repaired right wrist. “It’s been a long journey, even to just get to the start line of matches and be scared to be able to finish them… but to come off and get a win and feel like I belong again feels pretty special,” he said in his post-match interview.

Before his return, Nick Kyrgios battled knee and foot injuries for 18 months, leading to a full wrist reconstruction in September 2023. The Aussie admitted, “I thought I’d never play tennis again. I was like, look, I don’t know how long I can keep doing this for.” It seemed like another short stint on the court for the 2022 Wimbledon finalist, but he found his rhythm, taking the next two sets. As McDonald’s final forehand sailed out of bounds, the Aussie turned to his team with a gesture of relief.  He had won his first match after nearly two years.

Kyrgios noted that this win gives him some momentum, but he remains cautious about his wrist. “This [win] puts some petrol in the tank but I need to be realistic and see how my wrist feels tomorrow because it is a grind out here,” he said. Next, he faces Russian Karen Khachanov, but he’s being cautious about how much he can play due to his ongoing wrist issues.

 

“It’s been a long journey, even to just get to the start line of matches and be scared to be able to finish them.. but to come off and get a win and feel like I belong again feels pretty special.”

Nick Kyrgios, after his first ATP win since 895 days pic.twitter.com/VLLkbAlkSo

— We Are Tennis (@WeAreTennis) March 20, 2025

This isn’t the first time Kyrgios has been vocal about considering hanging up his racket since his wrist injury began causing trouble. Ahead of the Indian Wells Open, he was seen in pain during practice, clutching his wrist. Later, he spoke to Tennis Channel, revealing that he can’t “catch a break,” suggesting that post-surgery recovery might not be easy.

Kygrios gets real about his chances of competing at the highest level again

Nick Kyrgios’s determination to return to form is inspiring, especially after his emotional exit from Indian Wells. He faced Botic Van de Zandschulp and was forced to withdraw from the match due to trouble from his wrist injury. On March 7, he spoke candidly about his outlook on playing tennis despite the injuries. “I’ve never been a player to play all year round, but when I do play, it’s usually the best tournaments in the world. It’s the Grand Slams, it’s the Masters events, it’s the best 500s. I do enjoy playing,” he said.

Back in July 2022, Kyrgios reached his first-ever Slam final at Wimbledon. However, since then he was forced to step back due to his injuries. Reflecting on his surgery and rehabilitation, Kyrgios noted, “When I had the surgery 18 months ago, if I really didn’t want to play, I didn’t have to rehab, I didn’t have to try and get back on the court.” His passion for the sport remains strong, and he’s eager to make a mark.

On the other hand, he’s aware that the journey is anything but easy. Drawing parallels with tennis legends like Juan Martín del Potro, Dominic Thiem, and Kei Nishikori, who also faced the challenges of wrist surgery and recovery. “Del Potro, Thiem, and Nishikori… it takes time to get back at that level you once were at, and sometimes you might not ever reach it again. Thiem, for instance, was a Grand Slam champion, and yet, he struggled to make a dent on his return,” Kyrgios noted to Tennis Channel on March 6, highlighting the tough road ahead.

Now, Kyrgios is looking forward to his next challenge at the Miami Open. He faces Karen Khachanov in the second round, a match that could be pivotal in his comeback journey. Despite ongoing wrist issues, Kyrgios remains optimistic. Will he be successful this time around? Let us know what you think in the comments below!

The post “I’d Never Play Tennis Again,” After Beating American ATP Icon, Nick Kyrgios Opens Up About His Dark Days Chasing a Win appeared first on EssentiallySports.