Sean McVay’s Final Verdict on Eagles’ Tush Push Ban as Rams HC Confirms Draft Plans

5 min read

Word on the street is that Jalen Hurts and his boys may not listen to “Suffering from Success’ anymore.” The NFL team owners’ meeting has been announced, and it can change their future forever. Their favorite unstoppable move is on the line! There were signs, and some people like Sean McVay already predicted this. In a recent interview, the Rams’ HC cleared his stance about the ‘Tush Push’ tug-of-war, and let’s just say he had a few things to say. April 24 is fast approaching, and it already seems like a very happening off-season. 

On April 1, the league owners were not fooling around at all. After the meeting, a list was revealed containing the names of some moves that could possibly be banned from the 2025 season onwards. It has the Philadelphia Eagles virtually unstoppable ‘Tush-Push’ at the top. The debate around the move ban has been buzzing for almost 2-3 years now. After the Green Bay Packers‘ proposal to ban the play during the operations meet at the league’s annual meeting, it seems like on Wednesday, the push is going to become history.

Soon after the announcement, Rams head coach Sean McVay shared his final stance, “I don’t like the optics of the play. It looks like a rugby scrum,” he said in favour of the ban.

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Football Is Sexy (@footballissexy)

McVay cleared up the confusion that might arise from his statement. “I don’t believe in gaining something because them (Eagles) and Buffalo do it better than anybody else,” he said. This ban has divided the NFL due to its unbelievable success rate. According to sources, the Eagles hold the first place with 39 out of 48 successful conversions of tush-push plays. The Bills are second with 29 out of 36 conversions. The tush-push is the Eagles’ ultimate weapon, and it helped them win Super Bowl LIX.

McVay has favored the ban for some time now due to multiple reasons. “There are some health and safety risks, you know, from my communication with Dr. Sills about this,” he added. McVay also spoke about the risk of sneak plays, among other aspects that involve a serious health risk for the players. Moreover, Atlanta Falcons HC Raheem Morris also commented, “I don’t want to push a human into another human submarine style.” Even though there has never been an injury record, these votes in favor of the ban may be solely because of the low success rate by other teams.

The tush push has defined the Eagles and is something that only they do best. It’s like the Rams being the best at skipping or trading their first-round draft picks until 2023. Whether it is a sneak strategy or a roster strategy, it seems like survival in the NFL means change.

And with the 2025 season Draft less than a month away, all 32 teams are gearing up. The Eagles will perhaps be busy cooking up another unstoppable move or following a different route altogether. The Rams, however, are still focusing on their success mantra by bringing fresh blood to the roster. The Rams learnt when to take a different route. Can the other teams do the same?

Rams HC feels ‘rejuvenated’ with Draft picks

Like the Eagles, the Rams once went from the highs to the lowest lows between 2021 and ’22. After celebrating their phenomenal Super Bowl LV victory at home, the 2022 season was more like a long, drawn-out hangover for the Rams. During an NBC sports interview recently, HC McVay laughed out loud, saying, “I’ll tell you what… We got humbled in 22.” The Rams went into the regular season headstrong but did not emerge that way. Since then, McVay and the Rams have made some tweaks, and they seem confident with the picks this season.

For years, the Rams took an all-in approach, flipping first-round picks for proven stars and banking on mid-to-late-round gems to fill out the roster. Between 2017 and 2023, they famously went without a first-round selection, a strategy that worked—until it didn’t. The 2022 season exposed the cracks in this philosophy as injuries piled up, depth issues surfaced, and the Rams spiraled. They have, ever since, regularly made important additions to the roster.

“We’ve got eight years now of inventory to be able to say what’s been good, what’s been some things that we want to be able to learn from…” McVay replied about the Rams’ previous Draft selections during his Monday interview with Mike Florio on Pro Football talk. “I do think there was some good strategic opportunities for us to take advantage of trading first-round picks,” he added. The Rams HC expressed his renewed sense of enthusiasm and energy about the team’s recent infusion of young talent and strategic roster moves. “We’ve got great veteran leadership with Matthew Stafford,” McVay reinforced to the Rams’ decision for making that trade. And the HC is also very confident with the addition of Davante Adams: “We’ve got some ascending players; bringing Devonte Adams in was a big deal for us.”
He further name-dropped some of more recent picks like Kobie Turner and Puka Nacua from 2023 and Braden Fiske and Jared Verse in 2024. Nacua has set multiple rookie records for receiving yards and receptions. He was also named to the Pro Bowl and as a second-team All-Pro.

McVay seems to have similar expectations for Adams. He’s still a top-contending wide receiver in the NFL. He ended his previous season with the New York Jets, appearing in 14 games and recording a total of 85 receptions for 1,063 yards and 8 touchdowns.

The 49ers need to watch out because the Rams have a taste of their sweet revenge in 2024. With Adams as a key addition, the rivalry may just prove threatening for the Bay fans.

 

The post Sean McVay’s Final Verdict on Eagles’ Tush Push Ban as Rams HC Confirms Draft Plans appeared first on EssentiallySports.